The Social Changery
Seeking Communications Associate (Position Filled)
Updated: Nov 25, 2020
The Social Changery is looking for a Communications Associate with a passion for working with diverse populations and stakeholders to successfully execute our clients’ public health and social marketing campaigns and strategic communications projects. This role successfully collaborates with project teams to implement a wide variety of Changery’s services. The Communications Associate is an excellent writer, communicator, and collaborator, who contributes to multiple activities, programs, and teams. They participate as a team member across multiple projects as needed and work effectively with minimal direction and supervision.
The Ideal Candidate for the Communications Associate position brings exceptional writing, organizational, and communications skills to their work. They are an excellent communicator and effective team member working with internal teams, clients, and external partners/vendors. The ideal candidate is an energetic, self-reliant problem-solver who understands the importance of details and thrives in a fast-paced environment. Experience working on public health initiatives (especially mental health and substance use prevention and early intervention) and behavioral change communications, as well as a background in social marketing, communications, social media, and outreach are highly desirable.
A successful Communications Associate is proactive, demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit, eager to collaborate, and thinks critically and strategically while reflecting client/project objectives. They are a life-long learner, have a demonstrated track-record of working effectively with diverse communities, and have a deep commitment to social justice and equity.
● Developing and creating written content for presentations, reports, websites, blogs, newsletters, social media etc., including copy editing and rewriting content for other communication modes.
● Developing and implementing social media content including content calendars, writing posts, and implementing audience engagement tactics.
● Developing, implementing, and managing content for various online/digital communication channels and modes, including one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to many.
● Creating and delivering written and verbal reports, including synthesis, analysis, and evaluations.
● Supporting clients, partners, and projects in conducting outreach through social media, general marketing, and other outreach tactics i.e. providing training and strategic development support to clients/partners.
● Event planning, presenting and/or tabling at conferences and events.
● Initiating and completing necessary internal and external communications to assure success of project tasks/activities.
● Scheduling and calendaring internal and external meetings and activities among the project team members/organizations to support projects/activities completion within timelines.
● Working closely with Project Leads to support implementation and administrative functions for projects.
● Providing general research, current relevant trends, and business development support as related to the work areas and services of the Changery.
● Actively and meaningfully participating in a collaborative process to develop, coordinate, implement and maintain multiple projects/activities’ deliverables, work plans, and timelines.
● Identifying, documenting, resolving, and/or escalating emerging issues to appropriate project managers and leadership.
● Performing project-based administrative and organizational functions as needed, including maintaining the project teams’ electronic files, record keeping, proofreading, managing calendars and scheduling appointments/meetings, making travel arrangements, and responding to emails, phone calls and inquiries.
● Collaborating with project managers, clients, vendors, team members, and partner organizations as appropriate to achieve goals and objectives of projects/activities.
● Supporting and staffing meetings including drafting and disseminating agendas, taking minutes, and capturing key decisions and action items for meeting attendees, as appropriate.
● As a team member, providing expertise, performing tasks, filling in gaps, identifying expertise, and planning to accomplish all tasks.
● Providing support to Changery Principals and other team members as needed.
Education and Prior Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or other relevant field, or three years of relevant professional experience in similar fields.
● Demonstrated experience in a variety of areas of communications, including interpersonal, intercultural and mass communications, and including social media management, writing, and marketing.
Skills and Abilities
● Demonstrated passion for and commitment to working with communities of color, youth, LGBTQ+, socio-economically oppressed, underserved, and underrepresented people.
● Ability to build rapport and trust with above communities and individuals.
● Ability to speak to audiences and communities from their perspective and translate to other parties and vendors.
● Knowledge of public health principles, especially mental health and substance use prevention.
● Knowledge of social marketing-oriented and behavior change communications and general marketing.
● Knowledge of Situational Leadership and Collaborative Leadership approaches.
● Ability to think strategically at the process level, while keeping the big picture in mind.
● Demonstrated advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, MailChimp, video and audio conferencing, and social media platforms, including Instagram and TikTok, in a Mac environment.
● Ability to prepare and maintain clear, accurate, and concise records and reports.
● Exceptional organizational skills, including time and task management.
● Shows initiative, determination, and follow-through on all tasks and projects.
● Highly skilled in effective speaking, reading, and writing in English. Proficiency in Spanish or other threshold languages of California is highly desirable.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
● Positively, professionally, and warmly manage relationships with team members, clients, partners and vendors.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to work collaboratively and harmoniously on a team, as well as work independently and self-manage towards goals including communicating transparently across the organization.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and willing to cope and work well with occasional uncertainty and change.
● Willingness to travel, if required.
● Ability to travel to/attend meetings throughout California (when public health guidelines allow)
● Full-time 40 hours per week, salaried, exempt position.
● 100% remote work position currently, due to COVID-19. As conditions allow, position is based in a co-working office in Sacramento or Alameda, with flexibility to work remotely as workload allows.
● Some travel to meetings and events throughout California required (when public health guidelines allow).
● Primarily standard business hours (e.g. M-F, 9am-5:30pm), with option for negotiated flexible hours as workload allows. Some evenings and weekends required for special events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to work at a laptop workstation for periods up to 4 hours at a time.
● Ability to speak on the telephone for 2 hours at a time.
● Ability to participate for up to 4 hours without breaks at events and meetings.
Salary and Benefits:
A job at The Social Changery is unlike any you’ve ever had. Our work is driven by strong values, dedicated passion, visionary principles, and community-led change. You will be challenged to think outside the box, expand your comfort zone, and succeed in a fast-paced team. We believe in hard work, valuing our staff for their skills and talents, and providing a work environment and hours that allow for healthy work-life balance.
Available benefits include:
● Medical Insurance
● Dental Insurance
● Vision Insurance
● Life Insurance
● Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
● Open Leave and Sick Leave
● SIMPLE IRA Retirement Plan
● Coworking Membership/Daily Workspace Allowance
● Learning and Development Stipend
Salary: $50,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Salary range is based on market rates for Sacramento, CA. The Social Changery offers a cost of living adjustment to this salary for employees’ local geographic area/city outside of Sacramento, CA.
Application Must Include:
● Cover letter
● Two, at a minimum, relevant writing samples in English to demonstrate range and variety of skills and experience
● Submission via email to Vicky@thesocialchangery.com